Everyone wants to save a little money every day! However, some popular ways of saving money sometimes seem like a bit too much. Not everyone wants to cut the cable, never go out for coffee again, or go so far as to downsize into a much smaller home.
Luckily there are many ways to save money, and just like there are big ways to save money, there are small ways, too. The small ways are just as effective as the more extreme measures, they just take a bit more time to add up. To give you some ideas of small money saving steps to take, here are 30 Ways to Save a Little Money Every Day!
30 Ways to Save a Little Money Every Day
A penny saved is a penny earned, as the old saying goes. And it’s true! Trying to save a little money every day is the same as making a little money every day. Think about it- if you can save just $100 a month by doing some of the things below, in a year that’d be a whole $1200! You could put that toward your emergency fund, use it to pay off debt, use it to help you save up for something big, put it toward retirement or the kids’ college, or just enjoy that extra buffer in your checking account.
The tips below will help you save money on your utilities, groceries, your kids, your home, pretty much everything! A lot of the tips apply to more than one area of your life, and all are easy to apply. The trick is just to apply them daily (if applicable).
What you really want is to get into a money saving (frugal) mindset. Once you start thinking frugally, you’ll find that you automatically do things to save a little money every day. It’ll just come naturally to you! But until that kind of thinking is second nature to you, use the list below as your guide!
1. Get free books from the library
2. Get free movies from the library
3. Pay bills on time (those fees add up!)
4. Buy in bulk to create a stockpile in your pantry so you have to go to the grocery store less often (the less you go, the more you save!)
5. Turn off the lights when you leave a room
6. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth
7. Put the washer on the shortest setting possible
8. Take showers, not baths
9. Wash your car at the car wash (it’s actually cheaper than at home when you consider how much you’d have to pay for the water!)
10. Don’t turn on the heat or AC. Instead, put on a sweater or open a window to get a breeze.
11. Eat at home instead of eating out
12. Take your lunch to work
13. Plan/organize your errands by using a shopping list and only going to the store when the list is full (the more you go back to the store, the more extra stuff you’ll buy).
Related: 7 Unusual Money Saving Tips for Moms
14. Don’t drive more than necessary
15. Watch for sales
16. Clip coupons, print them out from couponing websites, or load them onto a coupon app
17. Compare prices (use your smartphone to do this in the moment so you’re not driving back and forth between stores)
18. Prioritize needs over wants (it’d be horrible to not have enough for groceries because you bought a new outfit!)
19. Don’t get influenced by advertising (if you find yourself picking something up after just seeing an ad for it a day ago, put it back down!)
20. Find free entertainment (free museum days, free concerts, etc.)
21. Take advantage of birthday freebies and holiday freebies (like the free donut you can get on National Donut Day)
22. Take advantage of “kids eat free,” “kids visit free,” etc. freebies
23. Take advantage of free pet clinics and events where you get free pet supplies
24. DIY some simple things instead of buying them (like cleaning products, beauty products, dog toys, home decor, etc.)
25. Upcycle old things into new things (you can make a lot with an old pair of jeans or an old wine bottle!)
26. Repair broken things instead of replacing them
27. Keep up to date on car and home maintenance (you’ll save in the long run)
28. Eat healthy and exercise (staying healthy is cheaper than being sick!)
29. Make a meal plan to reduce grocery shopping trips and stay within your grocery budget
30. Learn to make frugal meals (beans are cheap, healthy, and if prepared right, very tasty!)