Running can be a great way to exercise. But if not done right, you may experience a lot of pain and discomfort during or after your sessions. Read on to find out more about what you can do to minimize the uncomfortable effects of running on the body!
As an ambassador on the Road Runner Sports Running Buddies Team, I participated in the Shoe Dog fitting and received a pair of shoes, socks, and custom insoles in order to write this post. All opinions are 100% mine.
1. Make sure you are wearing the proper running shoes. Get a free fitting done at Road Runner Sports to protect your arch and feet. That way, you aren’t hurting later due to lack of support.
2. Wear synthetic socks. Everyone promotes cotton for running, but it can actually make your feet sweat worse! This means uncomfortable running, and possible athlete’s foot if you don’t keep your tootsies super clean. Synthetic socks will help you feet breathe and will also prevent shoe odor.
3. Stretch before and after your run. Prior to running, stretching will warm up your muscles and get them ready for the fitness. Afterwards, a cool down session of stretching will help to with soreness and keep your muscles flexible for the next run!
4. Work your way up. Jumping from 1 mile to 5 miles when running isn’t a good idea – and it’s possible you will injure yourself in doing so. Move up slowly, adding a quarter mile to your run every week or so, in order for your body to handle the increase.
5. Massage your feet after your run. A foot log roller from Road Runner Sports is made to relax your feet after a good run. Simply roll each foot across the bumpy log for 10-15 minutes to soothe any aches.
6. Compression sleeves may be a must have for some runners! They help to keep your blood circulating in your legs and feet during exercise. They can also fight off shin splints, a common ailment for runners.
Get the best running shoes by finding your Road Runner Sports store or shopping online at roadrunnersports.com. Remember, only at Road Runner Sports you get to test-run your shoes for 90-Days to make sure they’re perfect!