Last weekend, my family and I took a trip to the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, NC. We were invited to spend a couple days enjoying the amenities and learning about all the delicious food the hotel offers.
I’ll have more fun posts about the activities and fun at Great Wolf Lodge coming soon!
We received meal vouchers to try out the three restaurants at the resort.Dinner on our first evening was at Lodge Wood Fired Grill, the new sit down restaurant at the Concord, NC resort.
The Spinach and Artichoke Dip Au Gratin started us off with a delectable flavor, served with pita wedges and tortilla chips. My Shrimp and Lobster Pasta was amazing as well. The serving was more than enough for me, and the white wine sauce was the perfect complement to the seafood.
Breakfast the next morning was the Loose Moose Cottage. This was an extensive buffet that had any breakfast item you could want – pancakes, eggs and bacon, cereal, muffins, and more. There was also an omelet station. The four of us filled up on the wonderful food before spending a day in the water park and exploring the other activities.
After a busy day, we decided on pizza and salad from Hungry as a Wolf for dinner. GWL has greatly improved their pizza in the past few years. The dough comes straight from a Brooklyn pizzeria (you know how delicious NYC pizza is!). The sauce took six months to perfect, and the blend of cheeses took another two to get right. Plus, the pizza is gluten-free so it’s a great choice for families with allergies.
Also during our stay, several bloggers and I were able to have lunch with Chris Hammond, Corporate Director of Food and Beverage for GWL, and Russ Meeks, Executive Chef at the Concord, NC Great Wolf Lodge. We learned about how they are revolutionizing the dining options for the resorts, so families can come and stay without worry about food choices.
The changes came about when they began reading blogs to see what people really liked to eat. They begun seeking opinions, and offering menu items that were in line with those. The resorts have been streamlined to offer the same foods, so you get the best selections no matter which Great Wolf Lodge you visit.
Great Wolf Lodge has made several changes to their culinary options to make it easier for guests to visit. These include:
- Going completely nut-free in all resorts.
- Adding gluten-free options directly to the menu…no more ordering special items and waiting for them to be cooked.
- Switching to antibiotic-free chicken, and will soon offer organic chicken (will be one of the largest hotel chains to do so).
- Non-GMO menu options – currently French fries and most of the ketchup served is non-GMO.
- Macaroni and cheese (which they serve 60,000 servings of each year) is free of Yellow #5.
- Healthier choices on the kids’ menus.
- Treating their vendors like partners. GWL only works with companies that have the same views (organic, eco-friendly, etc).
Have you ever been to Great Wolf Lodge? What do you feel is the best change to their culinary options?
Never Miss a Post!
Get all the tips and advice from Mom's desk right to your inbox!