When I was pregnant with both boys, I stressed over what I should be eating. Was I getting enough of the most important nutrients for me and my growing baby? Thankfully, there was lots of info online to help guide me through the best pregnancy foods and nutrients I needed.
Below are six of the most essential nutrients during pregnancy. You must be sure you are getting enough of each of these in order to stay healthy and have a healthy baby too!
This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation that contains affiliate links. I received Viactiv products for my own personal use. All opinions, text and experiences are my own.
6 Essential Nutrients your Body Needs During Pregnancy
1. Folic Acid – This is important for the proper growth of the baby’s spinal cord and to prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida. Most prenatal vitamins are loaded with folic acid, but you can also get it from leafy greens, avocado, asparagus, and legumes. It is recommended to get 600 micrograms of folic acid a day.
2. Protein – Your body needs protein to adequately build all the cells in your growing baby. Three servings of protein each day, from meats, nuts, eggs, and legumes is sufficient for your little one’s – and your own body’s – needs. Pregnant women need at least 71 grams of protein each day.
3. Iron – My iron was low with one of my boys, and I had to take supplements to boost my levels. This is because the baby needs red blood cells, and the iron levels in my body were being depleted. Along with the supplements, spinach, red meat, and legumes were recommended to get the 27 milligrams of iron my body needed every day.
4. Fiber – No woman wants to suffer constipation anytime, much less when pregnant. Increase your fiber intake buy consuming more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans to reach the recommended 28 grams a day.
5. Calcium – Your baby needs calcium to build healthy teeth, bones, muscles and heart. Getting the required daily amount of 1,000 milligrams each day will help prevent your body from taking calcium from your bones, thus helping to decrease your risk of osteoporosis.
Sadly, most pregnant women don’t get the amount of calcium necessary on a daily basis. Many multivitamins, prenatal vitamins and mineral supplements provide only 20-30% of the recommended amount of calcium for women who are pregnant. Thankfully, Viactiv Soft Chews can help women meet the daily requirement.
Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are the #1 doctor-recommended calcium chew for pregnant women. Just two Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews each day provides 100% of the daily value of calcium that most women need.
6. Vitamin D – This nutrient is essential during pregnancy for a number of reasons. It helps to build both strong bones and a healthy immune system. It also aids in the absorption of calcium in your body and your baby’s body. Fortified foods and fish can help you get Vitamin D, but it’s usually not enough to get it from your diet.
Viactiv Soft Chews supplement when your food intake isn’t enough. One soft chew has 500IU of Vitamin D, so you can #BeActiv and reach your daily recommendation with no problem! Two flavor options are available, and aren’t hard to get down even if you are battling morning sickness and food aversions!
Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are available in milk chocolate and caramel flavors at major retailers including CVS, Rite Aid, Target, and Walmart, as well as supermarkets nationwide. Print this coupon to save $2 on your next in-store purchase of Viactiv.
Learn more about Viactiv at www.Viactiv.com.
This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation on behalf of Viactiv that contains affiliate links. I received Viactiv products for my own personal use. This post is not intended to address or diagnose any medical conditions. All opinions, text and experiences are my own. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please speak with your healthcare provider regarding any medical concerns.
Never Miss a Post!
Get all the tips and advice from Mom's desk right to your inbox!